Thursday, May 10, 2007

Today Show

The Today Show is doing a special this week about infertility. I haven't caught the whole thing, but I'm watching it right now. The reproductive psychologist on now is good. Today they are answering emails about infertility. I am sorry that I missed the rest of the series.

The series is called, "I want a baby," though, which I'm not crazy about. It's frustrating to me how people who have not gone through infertility sometimes look at those of us who have as being desperate for a child to the point of selfishness. "Why don't you travel the world instead?" "Serve in the children's area at your church," and "Maybe it's just not God's plan for you."

All of those things might be true or good for some, but the desire for a child is more than a selfish, cognitive idea. It's a biological drive. It goes beyond cognition to a place of deep longing. It's not the same as desperately wanting a Porsche or desperately wanting to be a famous author. Those things are nice, too, but I just don't think it is the same.

This is a rough week for a lot of my sweet friends and compatriots. More on that in another post. Just know I'm thinking about you and praying for you this week, sweet friends.

1 comment:

C said...

Ummm ... yeah ... that's a horrible title.