Saturday, May 03, 2008

How quickly we forget

Tonight Randy and I got a babysitter to watch the boys while we went to a movie. We went to see "Baby Mama" with Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Greg Kinnear who added a nice touch of testosterone to the flick. The basic premise is that Kate (Tina Fey) is a career woman who is not married and wants to have a baby, but is unable to conceive via donor sperm or donor sperm with invitro fertilization. Through an agency she hires Angie (Amy Poehler) to carry her child.

Our life right now is obviously preoccupied with raising little baby boys. It is easy to forget, as we are busy with every day life as a family of four, how raw and isolating it felt to want children but not be able to. I don't have time during the day to be reminded how it used to seem like every woman in my presence was pregnant or had a baby. I have almost forgotten how it felt month after month (40 + months) of negative cycles and BFNs (big fat negatives).

One of the funniest parts of the movie for me was Sigourney Weaver's 50-ish character who kept getting pregnant. There were some funny jokes between Kate and Angie about this. We all know (and sometimes love) the extremely fertile lady who is sweet and means well but is terribly annoying on this account. (I love you!)

It was a cute movie. It wasn't as silly as I thought it would be, and there were actually some really touching moments that made me tear up a little. I might not recommend it for someone in the throes of a struggle with infertility, because there are some pretty predictable things that happen that make you go, "Oh, man!", but if you are in a good place about it, you might enjoy.

No comments: