Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I should be sleeping

It's 1:15 in the morning and I just got finished feeding the baby. I couldn't go back to sleep without recounting how wonderful he is and what a joy midnight feedings are!

Baby is a good eater. Today he ate 5 oz. bottles all day long. It usually takes about 30-40 minutes during the day for him to eat, which does get to seem long. At night, however, he finishes in about 20 minutes. He usually does not drink but 3 oz. before falling back asleep and it's the sweetest thing. He cries like the dickins when he wakes up, and continues until you put the bottle in his mouth. Then it's pure bliss.

He gets drowsy at about 1.5 oz. and then sleepeats the rest. He snuggles close to me when I put him on my shoulder to burp, and I can hear him breathing heavily on my shoulder. He pursed his lips when I tried to give him more bottle after an unsuccessful burping, and kept it in his mouth while pooching out his lower lip around the bottle. He smiled and I realized he was done. I wrapped him back up in his swaddler by Kiddopotomus, put him down as he looked sleepily at me, and then he closed his eyes and went to sleep.

I love that little man. He is my sweet son.

My son has two mothers. One nurtured him in her womb for 39 weeks and sounds so happy when I tell her about what he is doing. She is a proud mom. I can share him - I get to experience the sleepy feedings, the first smiles, and have the privilege of being called mommy. I am a proud mom. We love her and she loves us. She has given us the most wonderful gift, and she gave him the gift of life and the gift of staying in his life to tell him in person why she placed him in our care. She is my sweet friend.

Now it is 1:22 and I really do need to go back to sleep. Sleep tight, faithful blog readers. I think I might need another ryekrisp cracker for my midnight feeding.

1 comment:

King Noah said...

Beautiful Amy,

I have craving for this kind of moments.One day soon I hope...