Monday, July 21, 2008

20 years

Are you where you thought you'd be 20 or more years out of Gymnasium?

Am I?

I guess. I was never one who knew what she wanted to be straight out of high school (or college for that matter, or graduate school, you get the picture), so it's not like I'd planned to be a medical doctor right now and missed the mark or anything. I suppose I assumed I'd be married and have 2 children and live in a house with an attached garage, and that I am.

I'll tell you what I did not expect. I did not expect to have been divorced, which I was in 2000. I did not expect 4 years of infertility, which I experienced in my second-time's-a-charm marriage. I did not expect to have a child by adoption and talk on the phone with the woman who gave him birth, call her "family", and look forward to the day when my son can spend the night at her house so that they can get to know each other better.

I did not expect to find myself trusting Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior at age 26 and begin following Him, reading God's word regularly, attending a Baptist church, Bible study and blogging about my love for Him and His love for me (and you). I didn't expect to love going to church, sing in the choir, and enjoy seeing my fellow believers lift their hands to Jesus in worship. (Yes, even in a Baptist church some people do that!) Yet this is where I find myself, and I find my greatest fulfillment.

So are you where you thought you'd be? If not, does it matter? If so, does it live up to your expectations? I believe that my expectations have been exceeded abundantly. What I've learned is that it's better not to be married at all than to be married to someone with whom you are incompatible. It's also unbelievably wonderful to be married to someone as caring, considerate, and helpful as my spouse. I've learned that it is not always biology that makes a family. I've learned that what I do does not define who I am, but for me, God does. In His eyes I am perfect and wonderfully made, because His son sacrificed himself on a cross to pay for my sins once and for all, and when He looks at me he sees Jesus rather than mistake-making me. Peace doesn't come from a job or an income or a marriage.

Do I sound overly prophetic here? I find that my brain is slowly seeping back into my head after getting through 2 years of infants and a pregnancy. Therefore you'll have to listen to me go on and on about some things rather than look at a million pictures of my cute children all the time. But never fear, Grandmas, I'll keep posting those too.

If this post causes you to evaluate your current life, I'd love to hear about it!

YVT,
Amy

5 comments:

Niki said...

You made me cry again. I'll have to expand on that more later though. I'm just on my lunch break right now.

Kristina said...

Well, I am only 15 years post-high school. Am I still allowed to respond? Hee hee, too late, I am anyway! :-P So, 15 years ago, I imagined that I would be a successful teacher, (I am), a writer (I am), and a mother of two (I am not). I am, however, a very thankful mother of one. We have been infertile for 4 years now, and my son starts Kindergarten this year. We are still praying for a baby, but, I am starting to think that maybe we should stop. Maybe it is not God's plan for us to have another child. Or, maybe we are supposed to adopt, like you. If you get the chance, please e-mail me the name of your adoption agency. We may look into it soon. Love in Christ,
Kristina in GA
kpwhitley@hotmail.com

Allison said...

I'm 10 years out of high school this year...

I thought I would be married (yes), have a child or 2 (I have one), be an anchor on the news (no way!), and have a SAH-hubby (nope).

But God had another plan. Married, one child and an adoption in the works. I tried reporting and hated it, and I'm a SAHM. But I don't know if being SAH is for me. Once the adoption is done, I hope to open my business at least PT.

God had other plans, and I'm so glad he did!

C said...

Twenty years ago, I thought that I would post a video on my blog on this very day, that I knew you would love.

No, really.

Jeff Deitering said...

I'm so glad you came back to Ames and it was a pleasure to meet you.
Jeff Deitering