Thursday, June 14, 2007

"One of those days" by Amy

We had some doctor's appointments today. The first one, chiropractor, was at 11:45. The last time I had an appointment for that time we were in and out of there in about 5 minutes. Not so, today.

Baby is catching on to this separation anxiety thing. He was very fussy at the chiropractor, which is uncharacteristic of him. He'd squirm in my arms, but when I put him down on the floor, he'd cry. We had to wait for about 20 minutes, too, which didn't help.

Our next appointment was for 1:00, so we were going to eat lunch and then run errands. Somehow I got the bright idea that I would just carry Big Brother in my arms, along with my purse containing his bottle. Who do I think I am, an octopus? Well, I'm not, at least not today.

So I order my bagel (Hi, Whitney!) and figure I'll feed him first. He was still fussing, so I figured he was hungry. He had a hard time with his bottle, and it is hard for me to feed him in a regular ol' chair (which happened to be in the middle of the restaurant). So he's crying, dribbling milk, I don't have a burp rag, and I'm hungry and hot.

Because I was trying to be the above-mentioned octopus, I decided to go get Baby a high chair, which I'm going to carry in one arm while carrying him in the other (no, I don't drop the baby as a part of this story, you can relax). Somehow I got to the table without dropping either item. Baby sat in the high chair and happily played with his new burp rag - a paper napkin.

So I'm trying to be all cool, this well-adjusted mom having a light lunch with her child, and I finally began to relax and eat my lunch while BB chews on this napkin. (Can you see where this is going?) The next thing I know, my baby has ingested some of the napkin and is coughing on the verge of choking.

Can I remember the CPR process for choking? Maybe.

So, he coughs the whole thing up, along with a mucosy mound of partially digested formula.

Do you remember that I was sitting in the middle of the restaurant? Well, the single guy at the next table, calmly eating his lunch, witnessed this whole gruesome mess. When I assessed that the threat to my child was over, I put my head down on the table and started to laugh cry. I couldn't decide which to do. He said, "Can I get you some napkins?"

"Yes, please," our heroine said meekly.

Ack! A relaxing lunch, indeed!

When we pulled into the parking lot of the orthopedists office (helmet check up), I saw him get into his car and drive away. This could not be good. He got called away to the hospital and we had to wait for 30 minutes past our appointment to see a different specialist. This is where the story gets anticlimactic. Baby was pretty cool during the wait, smiled at the nice ladies, and fell asleep in the car on the way home.

A day in the life!

No comments: