Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Gospel of Jesus Christ

(This post stems from the above post, "Religion versus relationship," in case it seems like it's comoing out of left field.)

According to the Bible, considered by many to be the infallable word of God, we were created to be in fellowship with God. But through Adam we inherited a sin nature, that is, we don't fully trust and obey God and so err.

Romans 3:23 states that "all sin and fall short of the glory of God."

Because of sin we are separated from God. This is what the Bible means when it says, "For the wages of sin is death...." (Romans 6:23a).

The good news is also in that passage. "...but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans, 6:23b).

God gave his only son Jesus as the final sin sacrifice for our sins (Romans 5:8), and when we call on Jesus and ask Him to be our Lord and Savior, we are forever reunited with God (i.e. "saved").

Romans 10:13 states, "for whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

I paraphrased some of this, but the basic information was taken directly from the Bible, with reminders from and the webiste http://contenderministries.org/romanroad.php.

This made sense to me one day in 1996 when I was 26. Although my ears had heard it before, my heart hadn't. Maybe you've heard it all before, maybe you haven't. It's the truth as I understand it, revealed to me by the Bible through God's Holy Spirit. On that day I prayed, "Lord, I know I have sinned against you, and what I'm doing on my own isn't working. Jesus, come into my heart and be my personal Lord and Savior." (Or something like that - it was over 10 years ago, after all.) And He is. I love Him for it.

No comments: