Sunday, August 20, 2017

Hi, Whitney!

I have this friend, I'll call her "Whitney," because that's her name. I think it's always a good idea to call people by their correct name.

Whitney and I love bagels. I don't eat many bagels these days because now I'm more than 10 years older than when she and I first met and my body does not like carbs. (Let me clarify, I like carbs, my belly does not like carbs.) My now 9-year-old son loves bagels, too, so I'll eat one whenever I can as a show of solidarity with my middle child.

Once I was at Einstein Brother's Bagels in Austin, Texas before classes for a masters degree in music and human learning from The University of Texas at Austin. Then twice I was there, and I kept seeing the same lovely face. The third time, Whitney and I introduced ourselves and a long-term friendship was born.

I was keeping this blog as an infertility and adoption blog in those days, and Whitney was probably my biggest encourager. When she was pregnant, I was a little envious, but she was so gracious about it, and I think we had adopted our oldest son by then so the sting wasn't as painful as it had once been. At Whitney's baby shower for her first son, I was about 8 weeks pregnant with said middle child and got to tell her so. It was sweet.

Time passed, we each had two boys by then, and even though I had moved, we kept up. Then when I was suddenly, shockingly pregnant with our youngest, a daughter, and I looked for a doula, I couldn't resist hiring one that was a childhood friend of Whitney's. (Also at her baby shower was a music therapist mutual friend who I see regularly at Central Texas Music Therapy Association meetings, but I digress.) The last time Whitney and I saw each other was when Jenna was just a few months old and dear Whitney drove over an hour in San Antonio traffic to come visit. Hopefully we will remedy that since all of our five children will be in school as of August 28.

I am pretty sure nobody remembers this blog much anymore, the infertility posts dried up as we had children and got into full-fledged parenting mode, but I'm guessing Whitney remembers. Hence, my post.

Hi, Whitney!

Love,
Your faithful friend,
Amy

No comments: