Monday, August 21, 2017

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

Once upon a time, there was a blog. Started by a wife and music therapist who longed to be a mom, the blog was a place of processing, sharing, community, and love. There came a blog fellowship, and even a blogging community called Held: A Hannah's Prayer Ministry. When the children came, the blog fell away, since parenting understandably took over my life.

Almost 11 years ago our first child came to us by adoption. Just a year later came a brother and we were done with babies. I went back to work part-time as an independent contractor with a local music therapy business when the boys were in a Mother's Day Out program, and promptly became shocked to be pregnant again at age 41. "I ruined our family," I cried to my husband one evening, and that turned out to be false. God's plans are not our own! (Isaiah 55:9)

That little baby girl turned five years old in June, and we began to prepare for kindergarten. This will be our one year when our three children are all in the same school!

I planned to go back to my contract after the summer, but I recently found that it would be discontinued. The school district for which I subcontracted chose to go another way with providing music therapy services. I am so pleased that they will continue to provide music therapy, and was actually not disappointed at all that I would no longer be providing services for them. I had ideas!

I do love a good reinvent, I always have. I used to love to move, the bigger the move the better! New areas, new friends, new surroundings, and new understanding of the world and of my Creator and how He made me. I've lived some really fun lifetimes, and here comes a new one!

Last week, Oak Song Music Therapy and Consulting Services was born! It's a leap of faith, as right now it's just little old me trying to start getting things going, with a whole lot of music therapy experience, but no clients, no marketing materials, and little to no business know-how. Sounds like a recipe for excitement to me!

My prayers are that I would be smack dab in the center of God's will for life and business; that I would develop a satisfying client base and a beautiful website where I can share information and ideas; and that I would honor God in the process and get to know Him deeper. It would be so easy to keep my faith to myself and become overwhelmed with developing a business, but this is my new baby and I've got to be a good parent. This includes honoring God and His precepts in parenting it.

Eleven years later, there is to be a blog started by a mom who desired to start a music therapy business and brand. Until then, I will use this place to share my thoughts and feelings about this new venture. I've realized that aspects of my personality that I was starting to think looked a lot like ADHD were really more a result of parenting requiring short bursts of attention. I don't think I've focused on anything but changing diapers, breaking up spats, and feeding children snacks for the past 11 years!

Back to business. I am honored that you might join me.

No comments: