Thursday, March 20, 2014

Best Day Ever

(Oh look - it hasn't been a year since my last post. I'm on a roll.)


It's all fun and games until the putting green that promises a free drink to whoever gets a hole in one.

These guys had been cooped up a little too tightly over spring break and I wanted to have a fun day with them. So on a whim, Friday afternoon I thought, "Mini golf!" The lines were long, it being spring break and all, but that was okay. The weather was great, not too hot but warm enough for our various clothing choices. (They can dress themselves - isn't that something?)

Not to leave any insignificant thing undone, we decided to play the whole 18 holes even though things started to deteriorate around hole ten. The last eight holes were spent frowning and pouting each time the ball missed the elusive hole, alternating with the repeated question, "Please can I get a drink?" (And I must say that, as always, I had no money and was going to need to borrow it from our friend Doris.)

By the time we got to the end of the course and the boys were really spun up about not getting a sugary putt-putt golf soda, I decided we need a photo of our fun ten holes (and lousy eight holes) of golf time at Embassy Golf.

"Smile everyone," she said hopefully.

I could have cajoled and pushed to get some fake smiles, but then I decided just to have our friend take an authentic picture of how it all really went down. Their frowns and pouting are real and mine is a put-on, but I think this photo is an honest look at what family fun looks like sometimes.

I am having more fun reminiscing about this photo and honestly giggling about the boys' looks than I would have with a fake smiley photo. Real life.

"Blessed are they, that can laugh at themselves, for they will never cease to be amused."  -Ritu Ghatourey




No comments: